Question

Suppose you have invested $1,000 in a stock whose price is increasing at 10 percent a...

Suppose you have invested $1,000 in a stock whose price is increasing at 10 percent a year. Your stock broker, who is never wrong, recommends a stock rising at 20 percent a year. Assuming the broker earns 4 percent of the stock’s value on any purchase or sale of the stock, should you take her recommendation?

0 0
Add a comment Improve this question
Answer #1

Answer : Yes, I should take the recommendation of my stock broker. Because stock broker's recommended stock rising by 20% per year. Although the broker gets 4% earning on purchase or sale of stock. Now, if I take my broker's recommendation and buy her recommended stock then I have to pay 4% of stock's vale and when I will sell my stock then again I have to pay 4% of stock's value to my broker. So, totally I have to pay (4 + 4) = 8% of my stock's value to my stock broker. So, if I take my stock broker's recommendation then my net earning on stock is (20 - 8) = 12% per year. While without taking the recommendation of my stock broker my earning is only 10% per year. Hence I should take my stock broker's recommendation.

Add a comment
Know the answer?
Add Answer to:
Suppose you have invested $1,000 in a stock whose price is increasing at 10 percent a...
Your Answer:

Post as a guest

Your Name:

What's your source?

Earn Coins

Coins can be redeemed for fabulous gifts.

Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own homework help question. Our experts will answer your question WITHIN MINUTES for Free.
Similar Homework Help Questions
  • Suppose that you are rying to decide whether to spend $1,000 on stock issued by WildWeb...

    Suppose that you are rying to decide whether to spend $1,000 on stock issued by WildWeb or on a bond issued by the same company. There is a 60 percent chance that the value of the stock will rise to $2,200 at the end of the year and a 40 percent chance that the stock will be worthless at the end of the year. The bond promises an interest rate of 20 percent per year, and it is certain that...

  • Suppose that you are trying to decide whether to spend $1,000 on stock issued by WildWeb...

    Suppose that you are trying to decide whether to spend $1,000 on stock issued by WildWeb or on a bond issued by the same company. There is a 40 percent chance that the value of the stock will rise to $2,200 at the end of the year and a 60 percent chance that the stock will be worthless at the end of the year. The bond promises an interest rate of 30 percent per year, and it is certain that...

  • Suppose you buy a round lot of Francesca Industries stock (100 shares) on 65 percent margin...

    Suppose you buy a round lot of Francesca Industries stock (100 shares) on 65 percent margin when the stock is selling at $15 a share. The broker charges a 8 percent annual interest rate, and commissions are 4 percent of the stock value on the purchase and sale. A year later you receive a $0.75 per share dividend and sell the stock for $21 a share. What is your rate of return on Francesca Industries? Do not round intermediate calculations....

  • You purchase 1,000 share of 2nd Chance Co. stock on margin at a price of $46....

    You purchase 1,000 share of 2nd Chance Co. stock on margin at a price of $46. Your broker requires you to deposit $25,000. A, Suppose you sell the stock at a price of $50. What is your return? WHat would your return have been had you purchased the stock without margin? With Margin? Without Margin? B. What is your return if the stock is $44 when you sell the stock? What would your return have been had you purchased the...

  • Suppose you buy a round lot of Francesca Industries stock (100 shares) on 60 percent margin...

    Suppose you buy a round lot of Francesca Industries stock (100 shares) on 60 percent margin when the stock is selling at $30 a share. The broker charges a 8 percent annual interest rate, and commissions are 4 percent of the stock value on the purchase and sale. A year later you receive a $0.70 per share dividend and sell the stock for $40 a share. What is your rate of return on Francesca Industries? Do not round intermediate calculations....

  • 10. Suppose you have invested 50% of your money in RBC’s stock and the rest in...

    10. Suppose you have invested 50% of your money in RBC’s stock and the rest in Air Canada’s stock. If you expect the return on RBC to be 6% in the next year, and the return on Air Canada to be 8%, what is the expected return for your portfolio? a. 6.4% b. 7% c. 6% d. 8%

  • Suppose that XYZ currently is trading at $20 per share. You buy 1,000 shares using $15,000...

    Suppose that XYZ currently is trading at $20 per share. You buy 1,000 shares using $15,000 of your own money, borrowing the remainder of the purchase cost from your broker. The rate on the margin loan is 8%. a) What is your rate of return if the price of XYZ immediately changes to $22? b) With the same information on stock XYZ and your initial margin above, assume a year has passed. How low can XYZ's price per share fall...

  • 1. You own a portfolio that has $1,700 invested in Stock A and $3,000 invested in...

    1. You own a portfolio that has $1,700 invested in Stock A and $3,000 invested in Stock B. If the expected returns on these stocks are 10 percent and 18 percent, respectively, what is the expected return on the portfolio?(Do not round your intermediate calculations.) rev: 09_20_2012 15.11% 12.89% 14.00% 15.86% 15.41% 2. Suppose a stock had an initial price of $55 per share, paid a dividend of $1.75 per share during the year, and had an ending share price...

  • Suppose you purchase 950 shares of stock at $63 per share with an initial cash investment...

    Suppose you purchase 950 shares of stock at $63 per share with an initial cash investment of $31,225. If your broker requires a maintenance margin of 30 percent, at what share price will you be subject to a margin call? (Do not round intermediate calculations. Round your answer to 2 decimal places.) Margin call price

  • Suppose that you bought a stock 6 years ago at $12. The stock’s price at the...

    Suppose that you bought a stock 6 years ago at $12. The stock’s price at the end of each year is shown here: Year 1 2 3 4 5 6 $Price 10 14 15 22 30 25 a) Compute the rate of return for each year (in decimal form rounded to 2 decimal places). b) Compute the geometric mean of the rates of return. Round to 3 decimal places

ADVERTISEMENT
Free Homework Help App
Download From Google Play
Scan Your Homework
to Get Instant Free Answers
Need Online Homework Help?
Ask a Question
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 3 hours.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT