- Questions & Answers
- + Post
- Get Expert Help
- Get Coins
Beta-oxidation of Behenic acid:
It is a 22C containing saturated fatty acid.
1 NADH = 2.5 ATP
1 FADH2 = 1.5 ATP
1. Number of carbon atoms = 22
2. Number of acetyl CoA produced = 22/2 = 11
3. Number of beta-oxidation cycles = (22/2)-1 = 10
4. Number of NADH produced from the fatty acid spiral = 10
5. Number of FADH2 produced from the fatty acid spiral = 10
6. Number of ATP produced from Acetyl CoA by TCA cycle = 11 X 10 = 110
7. Number of ATP produced from NADH = 10 X 2.5 = 25
8. Number of ATP produced from FADH2 = 10 X 1.5 = 15
9. Total ATP produced = 110+25+15 = 150
10. Number of ATP required for activation = 2
11. Net yield = 148 ATP
Fatty Acid Metabolism. The reactions of the fatty acid spiral are shown below. Use the description...
(91 fatty Acid Metabolism. The reactions of the fatty acid spiral are shown below. Use the description on the left side of the page to classify the reactions and fil in the boxes on the right side of the page Aetivation Step. The activation of the fatty acid begins by the addition of CoA which will carry the fatty acid from the cytosol into the mitochondria. The product, which is a fatty acid with a CoA attached, is known as...
EOS Fatty acid metabolism: Q1 1 point possible (graded) Fatty acid synthase is primed with two molecules at the beginning of odd-chain fatty acid synthesis. What are these TWO molecules? Propionyl-COA Palmitoyl-CoA Malonyl-CoA Acetyl-COA I Acyl-Coa union How many molecules of malonyl-CoA would be invested to synthesize one molecule of the fatty acid shown above? How many molecules of NADPH would be invested to synthesize one molecule of the fatty acid shown above? How many molecules of ATP would be...
2) Use this intermediate in fatty acid synthesis ACP The synthesis of this intermediate required one molecule of malonyl CoA two molecules of malony CoA three molecules of malonyl COA four molecules of malony CoA five molecules of malonyl COA Not listed 7) The molecules shown below are intermediates found in one round of fatty acid synthesis after the condensation step. so ACP ACP Which round of fatty acid synthesis is occurring in the reactions shown? The intermediate above is...
Fatty Acid Catabolism (B Oxidation) Examine Figure 12.15 to answer the questions below. B carbon -SCOA 000000000000000 Fatty acyl CoA of 18C FAD FADH 00000000000000000 scoa @]H40 00000000000000001_scoa or NAD" HO HO -SCOA NAD K.NADH + H NADH+H* 0 0 000-SCOA 0000000000 © COA-SH -SCOA 0 0000000000000000-SCA Fatty acyl CoA of 16C repeats cycle (reactions 1-4) QUESTIONS 1. How is the fatty acyl CoA at the top of the cycle different from the fatty acyl COA at the bottom of...
Question 1. Calculate the numbers of acetyl-CoA molecules produced when a fatty acid with 14 carbons after undergoing beta-oxidation? Question 2. How many a) cycles of beta-oxidation will a fatty acid with 14 carbons undergo? Explain briefly. b)? How many acetyl-CoA molecules ? explain briefly? Question 3. Consider the synthesis of fatty acids: Answer the flowing: True or False: a) CoA carries intermediate b) Acetyl-CoA donates two carbon atoms c) Malonyl-CoA donates two carbon atoms d) The reverse of fatty...
Solve all 4. During the last step of the β-oxidation pathway for fatty acids, the intermediate below is converted to CH3 (CH2) 12ČCH2C-SCoA a. CH3 (CH2) 12C00H + CoA b. 2 CH3C-SCOA CH3 (CH2) 126CH2CHsCH3C-SCoA d. 5. The intermediate below is produced during the fatty acid synthesis pathway. The next reaction of the pathway at the double bond, involves which type of reaction? CH3 (CH2 ) 12CH=CHCH2-ACP -CH2CH2OH- d. none of the above 6. The product of the first step...
(1) put the molecule of the first round of lipogenesis in correct order (a) acetoacetyl-Acp (b) 3-hydroxyacyl-Acp (c)malanyl Acp (d) trans-2-enoyl Acp (e) butynyl-Acp (2) put the intermediate of the B oxidation of fatty acids in order from first to last. to rank items as equivalent overlap them (a) fatty acyl coA (b)trans-enoyl CoA (c) B-hydroxyacyl CoA (d) B-keotoacyl CoA (e)Acetyl CoA (3) what is the total number of ATP molecules that can be produced from the complete oxidation of...
1A) How many rounds/cycles of beta-oxidation would be needed to completely break down a 16-carbon fatty acid molecule? 8 6 10 7 9 1B) What type of reaction is step 2? isomerization hydration oxidation-reduction reaction hydrolysis 1C) What type of enzyme catalyzes step 3? oxidoreductase lyase hydrolase transferase ligase 1D) How many net ATP equivalents are generated by the complete break down of a 12-Carbon fatty acid molecule? 97 ATP 95 ATP 100 ATP 146 ATP 124 ATP 117 ATP...
Fatty acids are activated on the outer membrane of the mitochondria. This reaction involves the addition of a CoA group to the fatty acid (to generate an Acyl CoA), and the hydrolysis of ATP to AMP. After fatty acids are activated, they must be linked to carnitine for transport across the inner mitochondrial membrane. Then, how many carbons are oxidized at a time? What molecules are generated by fatty acid oxidation?
2. For the fatty acid shown below: HOT a. Write the systematic name. b. How many B-oxidation cycles are required for the complete conversion to acetyl- COA? c. Write a balanced overall equation for the complete B-oxidation of this fatty acid to acetyl-CoA. Don't forget the activation to fatty acyl-CoA.